Friday, October 16, 2015

Grand Marnier Olive Oil Cake


 This weekend we're celebrating my dad's 60th birthday! He's not big on sweets, but I mean how could I not bake the guy a cake? I weirdly dreamed about olive oil cake the other night and woke up remembering I needed to make one (I think it was because I had just had olive oil gelato the night before). I woke up thanking my dream self for reminding me to bake a cake, and thought that this olive oil cake would be the perfect one. Since it's oh so moist, has alcohol and is not too sweet, it seems like the perfect adult birthday cake. With no icing, it's the perfect no frills cake for a man that just wants a quiet 60th birthday celebration with his family. Find the full recipe of food52 here!


  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/3 cups extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/4 cups whole milk
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons grated orange zest
  • 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
  • 1/4cup Grand Marnier


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 9-inch cake round with parchment paper and crisco (or butter/spray)

2. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl - flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder. Whisk together.

3. Whisk together wet ingredients - eggs, olive oil, milk, orange juice, orange zest and Grand Marnier. 

4. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until well incorporated.

5. Pour into prepared pan and cook for one hour, or until the outside is golden and toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool for 30 minutes before taking it out of the cake pan. Run a knife around the edges and invert.

6. Serve after it has cooled for 2 hours - with fresh fruit, whipped cream, just a little garnish or nothing!




9 comments :

  1. That looks so yummy!

    lesdeuxlapins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks good, I am sure your dad liked it :)

    www.elabellaworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, 60 is a big number, happy birthday to him!

    May | THE MAYDEN

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems sooo tasty!!!

    The Cutielicious
    http://www.thecutielicious.com
    Federica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw this looks fantastic and sounds delicious! Great alternative to a sickly sweet birthday cake (although, what can I say, I love those too).

    Helen xx
    Hels Yeah | Fashion & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to your dad! That's so sweet of you. It looks delicious.
    http://doreensstylediary.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, sounds so good! I also want to try olive oil gelato now as well, excited to give this a try! :)

    Raashi
    http://raashiagarwal.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so tasty! I love grand marnier in desserts.

    xoxoBella | http://xoxobella.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVEEEEEE olive oil cake!!!!
    www.ilgemini.com

    ReplyDelete