Monday, October 15, 2012

Lazy Sunday//The David









I had such a relaxing Sunday! It was exactly what I needed after my hectic field trip. I got up around noon (much needed sleep!) and went up the block to see the David. It seems incredible that I've been here for six weeks and haven't seen it, but there are lots of Davids in Florence and it didn't seem imminent. I'd seen the David before, but I forgot how COLOSSAL it is! I guess I'm used to seeing the replica of the David in it's original context, outside of the Palazzo Vecchio. Probably because it's outside it doesn't look as gigantic. I also got to see the original statue of Rape of a Sabine, a disturbing topic but an absolute feat of artistic genius. Three figures carved out of one block of marble is something that many artists, including Michelangelo, tried to do and were never successful at. Since no pictures are allowed I've included the pink David in the courtyard of the Academia and the David replica in Piazza della Signoria. Afterwards I wandered around, window-shopping and strolling through the markets. The only thing I bought was a miniature David for my curio cabinet. When I got home I started watching Downton Abbey. I've always heard good things and I'm hooked! I cooked dinner with friends and then spent the night wandering around Florence people watching, taking pictures in photo booths and seeing the sights without tourists everywhere. It was nice to take some time to just relax and breathe. This week is midterm week and I have three of them, two on Wednesday and one on Thursday (my other is next week). I'll try to post again soon, but no promises! Wish me luck!

No comments :

Post a Comment