Sunday, October 28, 2012

Berlin//Part 1









Curry wurst






Why is there a plaster cast of the Baptistry bronze doors?





Me and David

Me and Amy

Sandra and me

Jessica, Sandra and me

Getting to Berlin was so hectic, but I got here! I left on Friday morning and took a bus to the Pisa airport, two flights, a train and the metro! It was alot of hours of traveling, but I was relieved when I got in. I travelled alone, but I'm staying in a beautiful apartment with David, Nathan, Sandra, Jessica and Amy. I've been to Berlin before, but I'm happy to be back. It's a very industrial looking city while still being very beautiful. When I got in we immediately went out to dinner. I got a beer and a farmer's fry which had eggs, bacon, potatoes, sauerkraut and a slab of pork (what I would consider typical of Germany). After dinner we went food shopping to get some food to snack on. We hung out in the apartment and then went downtown. We ended up going to some bars and having a very relaxed night.

When we woke up yesterday we made our way to the shopping/market area. We went to see a part of the Berlin wall. It was a very sobering, humbling experience. We stopped in to warm ourselves (Germany is freezing) and get a bite to eat. After we went to the outdoor market and went shopping for warmer clothes. We then went to the island that has five museums on it. We split up because I wanted to go to a museum no one else did, the Neues museum. Germany has a large collection of Egyptian art because there are so many Germany archeologists excavating in Egypt. There prized possession is the statue bust of Nefertiti (or as my brother likes to call her, Neferdite). It was so beautiful! Afterwards we walked through the markets and then David and I walked home so we could get in more of the city. For dinner we went to a Mexican restaurant, I know it's probably not the first thing that comes to mind in Berlin, but it was crazy good. I got shrimp tacos and a margarita both were salty and delicious. We met up with a bunch of other people from NYU who are in Berlin and we decided to go out to the area with all the clubs. I am not one for clubs...at all, but it's Germany so how could I not? I ended up having the greatest time dancing the night away - literally. I didn't get home until after sunrise! First and last time that's going to happen.

No comments :

Post a Comment