Monday, September 17, 2012

San Miniato al Monte



Today I had my Cultures and Context class at San Miniato al Monte. I definitely did not plan enough time for the trek and showed up ten minutes late huffing and puffing...there were so many stairs. Physical exertion aside, it was one of the best views of the city. San Miniato al Monte is located on the other side of the bridge right near the Piazzale Michelangelo.

The story goes than St. Miniato was decapitated then picked up his head, walked up the hill and placed it where the church is now. San Miniato is located outside the walls of the city. I didn't manage to get pictures of the inside, but every inch is covered in decoration. The floors are made to look like carpet, which is reflected in the inlay detail of the floor. I felt as though it would be very rude to start snapping photos while my teacher was lecturing. After class I walked back along the Arno and bought art supplies for my drawing class. I caught the bus up to campus for Italian and then went home after to get work done and sketch. My night wouldn't be complete without a lady date with Chloe where we got gelato and did a lap around the Duomo.















No comments :

Post a Comment