Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Cooking lesson: bruschetta

These pictures are from the bruschetta I made for the picnic at the Piazzale Michelangelo. I was amazed how simple it was! I haven't made it again yet, but I plan on it soon. I found that I could add as much or as little of something as I wanted and it still tasted great.



Start with about six tomatoes and parboil them in boiled water that has been taken off the burner (this makes it really easy to take off the skins). After a minute in the hot water take out the tomatoes and run them under a bit of cold water (note: the skin will have cracked on some).


Using a combination of a paring knife and your fingers take the skin off the tomatoes. I found it easiest to start in the places where the skin had cracked. If the tomatoes are too hot you can either wait a few minutes or rub an ice cube over them.


The next step is deseeding them. I cut them in half and used a spoon to scoop out the seeds, then cut them into small pieces. I put the small pieces back into the strainer because I found that the tomatoes I used were extremely watery. 


After about 10-15 minutes in the strainer toss the tomatoes with a tablespoon of olive oil, add in about two cloves of garlic and a couple chopped basil leaves (I think I used 8 - because I love fresh basil). Salt and pepper to taste.



 The longer it sits, the more time it has to develop the flavors. Serve on a sliced, toasted baguette. Enjoy!


No comments :

Post a Comment