Saturday, September 1, 2012

First gelato in Florence

Today was spent doing errands - buying a laundry basket, getting folders for school, getting a cellphone and getting a bus pass...If I hadn't been so lazy I would have been able to get a bus pass at the school until 1:30 today, but as a result of not getting out of bed until 1:15 and then not finishing my coffee until at least two (probably because I'm living the European life now), I had to go myself to the train station to get a pass. I spent an entire hour walking around asking every place/person I could think of until I finally got directed to the bus office outside of the train station. I'm so thankful I have a small basis of Italian so that I can describe what I'm looking for "it's like a bus ticket, but for a month." Not as eloquent as I'd like, but it will suffice. After I finally found the bus office I learned I didn't have the right paperwork (Italian bureaucracy is living up to it's reputation). Despite the rain I didn't mind making the extra trip because the Duomo was exceptionally beautiful!



This is my front door in relation to the gelateria...


The beautiful church outside the horrible train station

Cactus candles at the 99 cent store - just for you, Katherine
 After I got back from my double trip to the train station my roommate Chloe and I went on the hunt for a rumored treat. It seemed so strangely delicious that I couldn't resist the urge to try it - gelato sandwiches...but actually. A scoop of gelato smothered in between two pieces of brioche. We did some internet research, but it actually doesn't exist here, it's more of a Sicilian treat. Through my limited Italian I was able to get across the gist of what we wanted. They were extremely nice and made it for us using crossants. It was...SO GOOD! The gelato melted into the sweet crossant and created a messy, sugary delight. While we were sitting there we chatted with the man behind the counter in Italian and then he started playing American music.



Chloe's pumped


The two games on my phone
 Since the majority of American students get the exact same phone, I bought some fun stickers at the 99 cent store so that I wouldn't mistake anyone else's phone for mine. My phone is so cute and small!




1 comment :