Wednesday, September 19, 2012

FNO: Florence

Olivia's fancy shoes

Last night was Fashion's Night Out in Florence. I went last year in Soho and decided to check it out. Some friends and I roamed the streets which were packed with well-dressed Italians. Some stores were giving out champagne with made me feel classy/realize I didn't belong there. The problem with FNO is that it's just shopping! It's just expensive stores, open late, trying to get you to buy things you wouldn't otherwise. It was a fun experience though! I wore a shirt I borrowed from Olivia, floral pants and flip flops (try as I might, I will never be able to wear uncomfortable shoes for more than an hour). Afterwards we ended up going to a random Italian bar that was advertising cheap sangria. We had fun chatting with the bartender and eating the free food they offered (I know you're not supposed to eat bar food, but it was cut up pieces of hotdog! How could I not?)

Today was such a long, but exciting day. I met my art history class at the baptistry and spend the next three hours at the baptistry, OrSan Michele, Piazza Signoria and the Bargello (originally a prison that now houses some of the greatest artworks of the Renaissance). Before we went to the Bargello we stopped to get coffee and small sandwiches and escape the rain. Even though my professor is incredibly knowledgable and interesting, three hours is a long time to be lectured at and the break was much needed. In the Bargello I saw works by Donatello like both of his David's and the statue of St. George that he carved for a niche in OrSan Michele for the Armorer's guild. I also saw the entries of 'The Sacrifice of Isaac' by Brunelleschi and Ghiberti for the competition of the baptistry doors. Though Ghiberti won (though it is unknown whether he won outright or if it was a tie) both quatrefoils are stunning! I couldn't believe how close I was to such major works I have studied so much! Unfortunately pictures are prohibited - there was an old Italian woman who screams at you if you try.

Directly after that I went to Santa Croce with my Cultures and Contexts class. If you recall I was there last Wednesday with my art history class. I thought it would be alot of the same information repeated, but it was completely different! We didn't even look at the same things. My CC teacher focused on the tombs of Bruni, Michelangelo, Galileo and the monuments dedicated to Dante and Machiavelli. Last week when I was in Santa Croce I didn't even know those were there! Michelangelo died in Rome during his self-exile from Florence. The Florentines felt that they had the right to his body, so under the cloak of night stole his body from the Romans. It now lies in Santa Croce in a beautiful tomb that combines sculpture, art and architecture.

After the class I stopped by home for LITERALLY two minutes to change books and shoes. Unfortunately even though I had spent all morning in the rain without an umbrella, I forgot my umbrella a second time. The bus didn't open one of the doors near where I was, so I wasn't able to get off at my stop. The added walk in the downpour resulted in me showing up to Italian soaking wet. By the end of the class I had dried a little, but my core was still cold. I missed the 4:15 bus and the 4:35 never comes, so instead of waiting in the rain for the 4:56 I stupidly decided to walk home in the monsoon. Every inch of me was drenched and I was so cold. "WHY DIDN'T YOU BUY AN UMBRELLA?" is a valid question that you might ask. Well in the morning I was lucky enough to have people share with me and in the afternoon my pride wouldn't let me. "Why would I pay 5 euro for an umbrella when I have an umbrella, a raincoat and a pancho at home?" was my thought process at first, but then it had been so long that my (notorious) stubbornness decided I had spent the whole day in the rain and it would be unnecessary to get one for the last 20 minutes...I'm an idiot. I'm currently blogging from under the covers of my bed where I have been for the past 4.5 hours. Next time I will just bring an umbrella...
David, Olivia, Kodia and Chloe



No comments :

Post a Comment