Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Montreal Photo Diary Pt 1

















Sorry for the absence, I find myself going through long periods of being unmotivated this winter. I think, like most people, I've been having a hard time adjusting to this constantly changing weather. Anyway, here are some photos from a trip I took to Montreal, Canada! Talk about a whirlwind trip. Driving up after work, getting there in the wee hours of the morning, and sleeping for less than five hours before hitting the town. My roommate Chloe and I decided to give ourselves a lil ladycation in lieu of Christmas gifts this year. 

I hadn't been to Montreal since I was 17 and I forgot all the beauty and wonder it has to offer. The friendliest people. Snow lines streets. Stumbling across an art installation of see-saws that light up and play music when you sit on them. And the poutine, oh the poutine. It's safe to say that pountine (for those of you who have no experienced the beauty and wonder  french fries topped with cheese curds and gravy) was the driving force of many of our explorations. That and the beer. Montreal is home to tons of local breweries with the nicest bartenders servin them up!

We stayed in the cutest airbnb, small but the perfect size for us. The winding spiral staircase that led to an alley behind the house was so whimsical and cute. Chloe and I long ago realized that we are the perfect travel companions since we met studying abroad. Our go-to plan is to have a mental list of a few things we really want to do, but other than that it's all up in the air! We'll chat up bartenders and locals and ask them where we should go. It's often the best way to find those hole in the wall bars, the best food and lots of local color. I think if you're only in town for a weekend, it's the best way to experience a place. Stay tuned for part two!

6 comments :

  1. Looks like you had such a lovely trip, and Montreal looks beautiful - especially with all that snow! I've never heard chips, cheese and gravy called poutine, but over here in certain parts of the UK it's a post night out favourite haha! Although it never looks as classy as yours does in the picture!

    Helen xx
    helsyeah.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a wonderful trip, how exciting to have visited Montreal - and in the snow! The food featured throughout looks delicious, yum :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic photos! Montreal looks beautiful! I really love the staircase in the back of the place you stayed. :) I love just winging trips too, and asking locals where to go. (My husband wants every moment planned, though. So, we have to compromise and plan some stuff, haha.) The food in your photos look really yummy, too!

    -Lindsey
    http://have-clothes-will-travel.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved getting lost for a little while in these pictures! That seesaw installation is super cool, and I'm positively drooling over all those food pics. I've never had poutine, but it sounds super tasty. My boyfriend and I have started thinking of vacation plans for this year, and Montreal is now going on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so lovely! I've always wanted to go to Canada, and hopefully one day! I love your and Chloe's strategy for travelling, I think that's perfect!

    Also, I really dig that rainbow coloured building! :P

    Raashi
    raashiagarwal.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete